Search This Blog

Thursday, September 14, 2017

THE TRENCH COAT, A BASIC OF FRENCH WOMEN'S CLOSET. 
Tips on how to wear it and combine it with the right accessories.


The unpredictability of weather has been presenting us with a September rich in stormy days and variable temperatures, and personally, I find that these are the most difficult conditions under which to choose my outfits. The classic trench coat is a helping solution to my doubts in this choice, during periods of foul weather. 
Perhaps, its versatility combined to elegance is the reason why also French women consider it a basic in their wardrobe, when the autumnal wind is whistling or the spring rain is pouring down. The classic trench coat is a permanent presence in my wardrobe, the ideal staple to hurry around the city with a pair of jeans and loafers when off-duty, or with an elegant dress and a pair of pumps at work as well as in the evening, and I often like to wear it open and relaxed, instead of belted for a close fit. 
 
Burberry trench coats in khaki
For any authentic fashionista investing in a classic khaki or black trench coat is a must, let alone that being at the height of fashion calls for owning more than one trench coat of various designs and shades.
The trench coat has always met with universal applause, and in the collective imagination it reminds of romantic promenades under drizzling skies along the Seine in Paris, or the glamorous Hollywood "femme fatales", travellers, investigators and gangsters who chose it as a cult-favourite piece of clothing, but certainly, this garment is essentially linked to the Anglo-Saxon fashion culture, not only because the famous English bad weather makes this country's inhabitants the best expert in rain. 
In fact, it was notoriously used by the British troops during the World War I, after Tom Burberry, the founder of the eponymous brand, invented a water-resistant tightly woven fabric called gabardine and created a garment which allowed the officers to move easily, while its khaki shades helped them to blend into the environment.
I must admit that I am an indisputable"Burberrian", since when I saw Audrey Hepburn wearing a whitish trench coat in the film "Breakfast at Tiffany's" and laying the foundation for the appearance of feminine trench coats in different styles and colours, under the tutelage of cult-classic Burberry. I am always invariably fascinated, whenever I admire the details of my classic Burberry trench coat, which have all a specifically aimed function due to their being designed for military activities, rather than just being stylish solutions, and of course, I am fond of the check lining, matching with my monogram scarf of the same brand.
Every spring/fall, a range of other brands offer us a wide choice of fresh new styles and shades, so nowadays it is easy for every single woman to find her ideal trench coat that will match both her body shape and complexion. Personally, I chose a Burberry trench coat medium length (above the knee), which befit to every body shape and height, and in a khaki shade which definitely matches any complexion, but I must admit that, especially when falls come, I am tempted to buy a new black model: this would go with either all shades of beige/silver grey of my so-called transitional pieces to create a very fresh and soft look, or with a black and white combination, which is the embodiment of elegance, especially if paired with a dark burgundy bag, or with denim pieces, a universal option which makes you gratified every time you are in a hurry and need to slip into something trendy and practical. 
Burberry trench coat in black
Trench coats can double their glamour, if complemented with the right accessories.  
Like many trench-coat fancy ladies, I sometimes face some difficulties while trying to find the best shoe-style to be matched with it. This is not such a difficult task as it might seem at first sight, since almost all styles of footwear can somehow create a lovely ensemble, except for sneakers that may work only in the hands of an expert fashionista or in the street-style outfits worn by slender, tall models.
My Burberry trench coat
I usually wear my trench with pumps, loafers, or medium-heeled knee-high boots, while I try to avoid more trendy looks pairing it with ankle boots, as they may visually shorten the legs, and I am not so tall...
As for other accessories, scarves and chiffon shawls romantically tied around the neck may create a look worth for sauntering among autumnal crunching leaves, but of course,  it is necessary to match the shade of the scarf to that of the trench. Both handbags and shoulder bags will look equally cool whether worn with a trench: among my favourites, a Mulberry Lily or Bayswater bag will be perfect for an overall English-style, while a Stella McCartney Falabella will suit a more glam-rock solution.
Now that you have read my tips on how to wear a trench coat in style, do not hesitate to own this iconic piece and, if you have already bought one, I have one last tip for you: always try to experiment new combinations that suit your own type!





Burberry trench coat in movies

No comments:

Post a Comment