Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 29, 2022

HEIRLOOM FINDING: BIEDERMEIER ARMCHAIRS.

I have always loved the idea of storytelling through one’s home and sharing what homes mean to their owners, since homes can carry so many significant memories and special moments with loved ones. So, I find it very rewarding to use my antique items with a meaning and bring new life to things that are important to me. These antique pieces are more than just a part of history, they are part of one’s family history. Families that have held on to stuff for more than a couple of generations or more are likely to have some valuable family heirlooms and antiques in the mix. And finding a piece of antique furniture like an old chest, dresser, rocking chair, desk, or sofa can be exciting. Moreover, two or three well placed antiques can really elevate a space and give it soul, even if the space has a modern design, like an office for example.  

Of course, when accessorising with antiques it is important to keep an open mind and observe how these pieces blend with the rest of the space and not to find oneself at a loss either for the choice of the most suitable place to place them, or the restoration steps to follow, if they are not in good shape.

Recently, I decided to restore two Biedermeier armchairs to their original beauty, when I rediscovered them in the basement, as pieces of fine antique craftsmanship that have been kept in my family for two generations, and I realised that I liked their elegant structure, from the finely carved front legs, to the linear back legs and armrests as well as the upholstered seat and back. So, I considered having them restored and refinished to put them to use and add elegance to my sitting room. 

I chose reliable upholsterers, Bonzi Tappezzeria, a small team of master craftsmen, who were able to restore the original appearance of my antiques and make them a unique addition, helping me also with the
choice of a classic and sober damask fabric with a stripe motif in salmon pink and ivory, instead of the typical Biedermeier floral stripe, which I found too old-fashioned and not so well matching with the modern-classic ivory couch already present in the room.

My advice is certainly always the same: instead of donating or worse, throwing away an antique 

piece of furniture because it is not in great shape, consider having it restored so you can put it to use again. Refinishing antique furniture will give it new life and save it from becoming a victim of our throwaway culture.

Heirlooms represent family history, wealth, and treasured memories. They are more than objects, serving as symbols for stories that deserve to be recounted and preserved indefinitely, and their value is not necessarily monetary, but deeply emotional.



No comments:

Post a Comment