Search This Blog

Sunday, August 27, 2017

WEEKEND RITUAL: "PETIT DÉJEUNER" WITH CROISSANTS, TOASTS & JAM.


On weekend mornings, I like to abandon any healthy eating of my daily routine to indulge in an eating habit that is less regimented and makes me a bit nostalgic for the richer breakfasts heavy in carbs, sugar and caffeine I have whenever I travel to France, where the typical continental breakfast is based on buttery croissants, coffee and some toasts and jam. 
However, in order not to worry too much about how much sugar I am ingesting, I usually distribute these delicious staples of the French food culture into two different weekend mornings, rewarding Saturday mornings at home with warm buttery croissants, fruit juice and coffee, while leaving toast sand jam, fruit juice and coffee for Sunday mornings.
Useless to say, it is very difficult to get croissants with a buttery, layered, flaky-textured dough outside France, so, whenever I have a trip there, I stock up on the best croissants from the numerous "pâtisseries" such as La Tarte Tropézienne, and put them in the freezer, when at home, so that I can oven-bake one per Saturday for several weeks.


Breakfast with Croissants

Croissants










As for the provisions of Sunday jam, I am lucky enough to profit of the wonderful old French-style recipe of "Confiture de Mirabelles", home-made by my partner's mum with the delicious slightly sour fruits harvested from an ancient tree found on their lands. And this kind of smooth jam, spread over buttered toasts is a real healthy titbit, since it does not contain any preserves !

Home-made "Confiture de Mirabelles"


Home-made "Confiture de Mirabelles"
Home-made "Confiture de Mirabelles"


So, what is my philosophy of life and bottom line of this post ?  Eating things that make you happy, in moderation, of course, might just be one of the most nourishing things of all. Très bien!

No comments:

Post a Comment